Saturday, October 02, 2010

Writing into the mist

It's been ages since I wrote a post purely about my writing. I've recently started a new ms. At the moment it's called allotment wars but I have a sneaking suspicion that may turn out to be another book entirely. This is very much an into the mists book. I have no plan - I never have much of a plan, but for this one I haven't even done a rough blurb or outline. So far I have three chapters which I really like - they are still lacking the details to make them sharp but as regular readers here know that's something I do in my edit stages. Chloe, my heroine, is a radio reporter - she gets to go out and record interviews at the local baby show, meet the grower of the biggest leek and at the start of the ms she's about to abseil down the walls of a castle. Except, Chloe hates heights and has misguidely taken too many of her friend Shelly's tranquillisers in a bid to calm her fears.
So, that's what I'm working on - for the writers amongst you, what scene have you just written? And, for the readers, what scene have you recently read that's stayed in your memory?

4 comments:

Kimberly Menozzi said...

Hmmm... What scene have I just written?

Well, it's part of my cycling story, in which Federico has just called Abby on the phone after he spots her walking past his hotel while he sits in the lobby. As they chat, he starts teasing her by talking in a very risque manner and then using her name very clearly. Since their relationship is a secret, this is a risky thing to do, but it's all in good fun - until Abby realizes something about the people who have come to interview him for a sport magazine.

I don't want to say much more, lest it give too much away. ;)

Phillipa said...

I 'ejoyed' a scene in my the latest Ruth Rendell novel where Wexford discovers a body in cupboard isn't who he thinks it is. I love a twist and was totally fooled - but that's what makes Rendell a great writer.

Laura Hamby said...

In my WIP last night, I'm working on a scene where our intrepid heroine and hero are moving into their new home. Sounds harmless, right? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! This WIP is down a totally different track for me, and I'm having so much fun with it.

Am reading Salvation in Death, JD Robb. Just finished the scene where Eve's talked to the victim's mother.

Calisa Rhose said...

Hi Nell. I recently got a requested full for my first attempt at a medical (yesterday actually). While writing the requested partial (that got the full request) I had to write a scene in which my hero, a medi-flght EMT, had to rescue a woman (not the heroine) from a bad wreck. Conner had to crawl under a leaking fuel tanker in dark, cramped quarters to reach her. This is still with me. The emotion, the fear...I loved writing it!