Wednesday, August 16, 2006

One Book.

Michelle Styles tagged me with this and as I need a break from Charlie here are my thoughts:

1. One book that changed my life: The Nurse. This was a ladybird book I was given as a child and yes I still have it. It influenced me in my career choice, I fell in love with the ‘glamour’ of nursing.
2. One book I have read more than once: In Pleasant Places by Joyce Grenfell. This is an amazing book, it’s really an autobiography of an amazing woman who had a very, understated British courage.
3. One book I would want on a desert island: Assuming I already had the bible (you can keep Shakespeare – I’m not a fan) It would have to be Little Women by Louisa May Allcott. I never tire of this book. It has everything, laughter, tears, love and the ability to transport me to another world. Sometimes I’m Jo, the tomboy, sometimes I’m Meg and falling in love, sometimes Amy or Beth, and then there’s Laurie.
4. One book that made me laugh: Argh, there are so many! But Can you keep a secret by Sophie Kinsella is my top pick.
5. One Book that made me cry: I cry at loads of books, I am a real soft heart. But it has to be Susanne’s diary for Nicholas by James Patterson. If you need a masterclass on emotion then read this book, I defy you not to cry.
6. One book I wish I’d written: This is hard, I think it would have to be The Bridesmaids reward by Liz Fielding because she and Jessica Hart are the kind of writer I aspire to be and I loved this book to bits.
7. One Book I wish had never been written: This was hard, Lord of the Flies was bad, The Old man and the sea, Animal Farm, I hated all of those but I’ll go for The Andrew Morton biography of Princess Diana. This caused a lot of pain to many people and was a blatant attempt to cash in on sorrow with no thought for the consequences.
8. One book I am currently reading: Manhunt by Jennie Crusie, it’s wonderful, go buy it.
9. One book I have been meaning to read: Inkheart by an author whose name I can’t spell. My daughter beat me to it so I have to wait my turn but it looks good.
Now to tag – Jessica Raymond, Lis and Julie Cohen
I just got my letter from M&B to say Sheila Hodgson has my partial - eek.

5 comments:

Jessica Raymond said...

Ooh, good fun! I will think overnight and do my list tomorrow :)

Lis said...

Cool, I'll do mine tomorrow. Must think on this :o)

Grace Tyler said...

Jessica Hart! I wish I'd written The Honeymoon Prize. I'm a big fan, though I rarely get to read any more.

Nell Dixon said...

I love Jessica Hart's books. She's a very nice person in real life too.

Anonymous said...

Woman, you need to tell me when you've tagged me! I missed seeeing this till today (Saturday), and will have to do the meme tomorrow now.